On Saturday 17th January 2015, Peacock Tree Yoga in York undertook the ultimate yogi’s challenge of 108 Sun Salutations.
We moved through Surya Namaskar A from the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga Primary Sequence. Students from both our York Hatha Yoga Classes and York Ashtanga Yoga Classes attended and worked hard – it was tough but fabulous!
This year we raised money for The Haven in Leeds – a breast cancer support centre. The Haven provides: emotional support, counseling, complementary therapies, advice on healthy eating, body image workshops, and provides a free personalised programme to suit each person’s needs. It does this without any support from the NHS relying solely on fundraising.
Nearly every family in the county is affected in one way or another by cancer, and supporting The Haven is a wonderful way to celebrate life and offer practical help to ladies recovering from cancer in our local area.
You may ask why 108? 108 is an auspicious number across many cultures, religions and traditions.
- 108 is the number of “Upanishads” comprising Indian philosophy’s ‘Vedic texts’.
- 108 is the Chinese number representing ‘Man’
- 108 is the number of names for Buddha
- 108 is the number of beads on a Catholic rosary
- 108 is the number of beads on a Tibetan “mala” (prayer beads, analogous to a rosary)
- 108 is twelve times the number 9 which is the number of vinyasas in a sun salutation
- 108 is the number of sutras in the Yoga Sutras
You can find out more about, ‘The Haven’ and their wonderful work by clicking on this link.
Thank you for supporting all of us at Peacock Tree – you can see how we got on by clicking here.