- Please arrive at least 5 minutes before the class starts to maintain the integrity of the class. We always start on time.
- Wear fresh clothes and if possible shower before the practice – worn clothes ‘hold’ onto old energy.
- Leave outdoor shoes outside.
- You should be able to move freely in your yoga clothes, but Gents, please make sure your shorts fit you securely, (preserving your own dignity and sparing ladies’ blushes!)
- Turn mobile phones off completely during class time – vibrating alerts too.
- We practice yoga in bare feet, so please make sure your feet are clean (and fungus-free). However tempting it may be to pick at your feet, resist the temptation to give yourself a pedicure during the class.
- Drink water before and after the class, (not during) and make sure you’re well hydrated before you arrive.
- Avoid heavily scented perfume, please.
- Leave your day, your problems and the outside world at the door. Enter the yoga class with an aspiration to enjoy a good practice and focus on the yoga. Whatever’s on your mind, it can wait – after a focused yoga session, you’ll be more equipped to deal with it.
- Oh, and if someone says ‘namasté’, it’s nice to say it back. This is what it means:
My soul honours your soul.
I honour the place in you where the entire universe resides.
I honour the light, love, truth, beauty & peace within you, because it is also within me.
In sharing these things we are united, we are the same,
we are one.
P.S. You’ll usually see people saying this whilst holding their hands in prayer position (anjali mudra), just like this: